Thursday, January 21, 2010

Salt Intake

Salt, which contributes to high blood pressure and heart disease, is widely overused in the United States, with 75 to 80 percent coming from processed food. Men typically consume 10.4 grams per day. For women, the average is 7.3 grams. Its use is rising.

I remember when I was just new here in the USA, I can hardly eat American food. For me the taste of most American foods are all extreme. It is either too salty or too sweet for my taste. I do believe that Americans use a lot of salt in preparing their foods.

Obviously, too much salt intake is not good for the health. Researchers in New England Journal of medicine reported that a reduction of 1 gram would prevent 11,000 to 23,000 strokes, 18,000 to 35,000 heart attacks and 15,000 to 32,000 deaths from any cause. Now is this not a good reason enough to lower your salt intake?

Lower salt intake may reduce the risk of stomach cancer, kidney disease, congestive heart failure and osteoporosis. Time to check your salt intake.... how much salt do you use?

1 comments:

shydub said...

Ahhh kilawon pa mn gani ni nato, tuslo ang mangga, kidhat dayon hehe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails